What is Smudging?
Sage is a sacred plant that has been used since ancient times. It’s known as a purifier. Burning it before each ritual helps to drive out negative energy and restore balance to a particular space. “Smudging” with sage is an ancient practice from Native American and other indigenous cultures. It’s a purifying “smoke bath” that can be used to cleanse a person, place, object, or space of negative energies or influences. When the smoke begins to melt away, it takes the unwanted energy with it. This can be lower vibrational energy, negative thoughts, or even words from an old argument still hanging in the air.
How to Smudge -
Purchase a smudge kit
1. Open every door and window in your house to allow the unwanted energy to be released.
2. Ask the your god, spirit of the smudge, guardian, or spirit guide to assist you in purifying and cleansing you, your space, and/or your crystals. Hold the smudge stick above an abalone shell as you light it. Let the smudge stick catch fire, and allow it to burn for about 30 seconds. Then blow it out.
3. As the smoke wafts from the stick, smudge yourself using the feather to direct the smoke toward your body. We suggest starting at the top of your head and working downward toward your feet.
Setting your intention for yourself and each room. Say a prayer of cleansing. For instance “I cleanse this room/myself of any negative or stagnant energy." or “Please remove and release any negative energy from this space.”
3. Smudge your space. Make sure the doors and windows are open. Start at the front door (outside), smudge around the outside of the door and frame. Walk back inside, and begin saging the space by moving counter-clockwise through it—this is symbolic of taking negative and unwanted energy out. Using the feather, waft the smoke into the corners of every room and up to the ceiling.
4. When you’re finished, extinguish the smudge stick by snuffing it out inside of the abalone shell.